<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Corners15-Blue-01 BannerTop   Corners15-Blue-02
  BannerPicLeftBannerPicRight

Phil Mercer

 
TallYellow01  
You are in the Mercers Tedium Blog
TallYellow02
 

 

 

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Bonny

 

I'm sitting in front of the fire watching Cleopatra on the laptop. It must be Sunday afternoon.

For the next week I'm having a holiday with friends up in the Highlands of Scotland (Sutherland actually!).

I've always wanted to come right to the top of the country and this is the perfect chance. My friend Mark hired out a cottage here at Badnabay, right in the middle of nowhere. It should be an interesting week as apart from Mark I don't really know the others staying. As I told myself when I agreed to come, it's about time I expanded my group of friends!

The cottage is lovely, simple but has all the necessary mod cons.

I arrived yesterday having flown up from LGW to Inverness in the morning.







It was all very comfortable and smoothly done, although I had a bit of a wait for the hire car as it seems most of the people on the flight were collecting one.

I then stopped off at the supermarket in Inverness to stock up with basics for everyone!

The drive to Badnabay is a long and slow one but I thought I'd take a chance to visit somewhere I've been wanting to go to in a while, Cromarty!

I'm a big fan of the Shipping Forecast. It's one of the most poetic and therapeutic bits of radio being broadcast - often sending me off to sleep, or waking me in the mornings. I am going to try and call in at as many of the places mentioned as possible. I sailed past Ardnamurchan point a couple of years ago, and last year visited Mull of Kintyre.

So I can now say I've seen Cromarty. And it had a geek treat in store. I parked up at the sea front and watched an oil rig being towed out to sea. It's very surreal watching such a vast thing glide so gracefully past.

I eventually took the car ferry over the Cromarty Firth and continued the journey to the cottage.

It's a stunning drive and one that I'm looking forward to doing again... But with a few stops to take some photos.

It's strange to think of A roads as single track with parking places, but it didn't really cause me any problems... Except once when a dear wandered on to the road!

I settled in for the evening and was joined by Justin, one of Marks friends.

Today we ventured up to Durness to the craft village there. It's a bizarre collection of artist studios and cafés set up in old RAF station.







There was a lovely chocolate shop as well.

The drive up and back is very dramatic (and good fun). Another one I want to do again, stopping to take photos.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Copyright Phil Mercer 2010